The registration lottery for the Minto US OPEN Pickleball Championships in Naples, Florida officially opened today. But what is it exactly and why am I so excited?
The Minto US Open is the biggest pickleball tournament and the biggest pickleball party in the world. It a week-long event held at the East Naples Community Park that every pickleball addict must experience at least once in their lifetime. Here are the basic details:
- This year the tournament will be held April 23 – 30, 2022.
- The tournament will be at the Naples Pickleball Center. With its 60 permanent dedicated pickleball courts, it is currently the largest pickleball facility in the world. And, the new welcome center features locker rooms, bathrooms, and more shade.
- Besides being able to watch professional and amateur pickleball players compete on 59 courts for free throughout the week, the event features a US OPEN Expo tent, Landshark beer garden, and daily entertainment. (There is a $5 daily parking fee.)
- Spectators will need to purchase tickets to watch matches at the Zing Zang Championship Court. The championship court ticket lottery will open on January 18, 2022. The famous US OPEN flag ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, April 30, on the Zing Zang Championship Court (tickets required).
If you want to play, you can enter the registration lottery on pickleballtournaments.com between January 3 and January 7, 2022. Here’s what you should know:
- Registration fees do not need to be paid until the lottery draw is completed. The costs are as follows:
- $100 for athlete credential plus $40 for each event
- $100 for pro credential plus $80 for each event
- $25 for junior credential plus $25 for each event
- If you enter a pro level event of any kind, you will not be eligible to enter any amateur skill/age events. For example, if you cannot enter a pro singles event and also enter any skill/age doubles events. Or if you are playing in a pro gender or mixed doubles event, then you cannot play in skill/age singles.
- Players are encouraged to register for events based on their current UTPR but may play up in skill level. Players may also play in a lower age division.
- Players do not need to be a USA Pickleball member and there are no required qualifying events.
- Those looking for a partner should join the Minto US OPEN Pickleball Championship Player Connections Facebook group. There are already several players who have posted that they are searching for partners.
- List your partner on your registration.
- If your partner cancels (or is unable to play for any reason), email email@example.com.
- Before April 2, 2022 — You may choose a player who is not already registered.
- After April 2, 2022 — You must choose a player who is already registered. (Check the “Players Needing Partners” section of the tournament for potential replacement partners.)
- Replacement players must be able to play in the same skill/age group that you have a spot in. (Players may play down in age and up in skill.)
- Replacements must be communicated to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 PM the day before your event is scheduled to play. (Requests received after 6 PM will be reviewed by the Tournament Director for approval.)
- Players need to be aware that this is an outdoor tournament and there is no indoor back up. There are no refunds or make up days if the tournament is impacted by weather. Refunds will only be issued to players who have purchased the US OPEN Insurance Program. Insurance is $25 in addition to credential and event registration fees.
- Sunday, May 1, is a designated rain day for TV pro matches only.
- Players who withdraw from the tournament before March 1, 2022 will be entitled to a full refund (less a $25 processing fee) without the need to purchase the US OPEN Insurance Program. The insurance covers you in case you have to withdraw from an event after the refund deadline. Insurance also covers you in case your event is canceled due to weather. Click on the link for the full details who what is and isn’t covered.
TENTATIVE REGISTRATION TIMELINE
January 3-7 — Registration is open. Enter the registration lottery anytime within this window.
January 21 — Email confirmations are sent to all the registration lottery winners.
January 25 — Deadline to submit payment.
January 26 — Teams that have not paid are removed and alternates are notified.
February 4 — Payments are due for the alternates.
February 8 — Lottery is officially closed.
March 1 — Refund deadline. Withdraw by this date to receive a full refund less the $25 processing fee.
March 14 — Event player list is posted.
April 2 — Deadline to bring a non-registered player as a sub. After this date, you must select a sub from the list of registered players under “Players Needing Partners” section.
All dates are estimated. For full event details and lodging information go to usopenpickleball.com.
How does the registration lottery work?
- Players who are registered without a partner are excluded from the lottery but will remain in the tournament so those names will be visible to other players who may need to find a replacement.
- The system will assign teams a random lottery number, for each event registered. If you are registered in three events, you have three chances to win the lottery.
- Winning the lottery is per event, not per registration. If you win the lottery for one event but not others, you are only entered in that specific event.
- The lottery process continues until all the events are filled (or each day reaches capacity).
- Lottery winners will be notified by email no later than January 21, 2022.
- Payment must be made, in full, by both members of the team, by the January 25, 2022 deadline to secure your spot. Non payment by either player, of the team, will result in removal from the event.
Should you have any questions, please email email@example.com.